The School of Social Sciences offers several competitive scholarships to students committed to academic excellence, thanks to generous donations from alumni and community friends.
To be eligible for all of the following scholarships, you must be a declared major within the School of Social Sciences. Additional eligibility and application requirements vary and are described in detail below. Undergraduate student questions should be directed to Rachel Fumo; graduate student questions to John Sommerhauser.
Alumni & Community Friends: For further information on how to make a difference through a gift to the Social Sciences, please contact Rosemarie Swatez in the Social Sciences Development Office Students.
Undergraduate Scholarships and Awards
- David Rosten International & Community Service Scholarship
- Outstanding Community College Transfer Student Scholarship
- Social Sciences Alumni Academic Excellence Scholarship
- Alice B. Macy Outstanding Undergraduate Paper Award
- Charles A. Lave Paper Prize Award
- Middle East Studies Paper Prize
- Social Sciences Outstanding Honors Thesis Award
- Educational Enhancement Scholarship Fund.
This scholarship (the Educational Enhancement Scholarship Fund) is available year round and
the application can be turned in any time throughout the year. The Due Date coincides with the end
of each academic year.
Other Undergraduate Scholarships and Awards
- Caesar D. Sereseres Outstanding Service Award
- Elena B. and William R. Schonfeld Scholarship
- Global Connect Scholarship
Undergraduate Scholarships and Awards by Department
- Harry Eckstein Award for Outstanding Honors Thesis
- Jack and Suzanne Peltason Scholarship
- Pi Omicron Chapter Founders' Award for Outstanding Senior
Graduate Scholarships and Awards
Graduate Order of Merit Awards
End-of-year Graduate Order of Merit awards are made annually in each of four categories (Kathy Alberti Prize, Outstanding Scholarship, Outstanding Service, and A. Kimball Romney Award for Outstanding Graduate Student Paper), through a school-wide competition announced in the latter half of April. The awards recognize outstanding academic achievement and promise, scholarship, research and service. Each award carries a generous honorarium and recognition during the School's formal Order of Merit ceremony held during commencement weekend in June.
- A. Kimball Romney Award for Outstanding Graduate Paper
- Etel Solingen Award for Outstanding Paper in International Relations
- Kathy Alberti Prize
- Outstanding Scholarship
- Outstanding Service
Graduate Scholarships and Awards by Department
- Gilbert G. Gonzalez Graduate Student Paper Prize
- Robin M. Williams, Jr. Student Paper Competition
- Sociology Department Service Award
- Sociology Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award
- Sociology Outstanding Graduate Research Assistant Award
Research Center Fellowships, Scholarships and Awards by Department
Center for Citizen Peacebuilding