Why ladies fancy Tom Hardy and fellas go for Liz Hurley: Women are turned on by men who MUMBLE because it's macho... while the opposite sex prefer the femininity of precise pronunciation, study finds
- August 31, 2021
- Daniel Stehr, '20 cog sci Ph.D., Daily Mail, Aug. 31, 2021
Attractiveness in speech patterns appears to be a form of what's known as 'sexual dimorphism' – a strong difference in any characteristic between the two sexes other than the sexual organs. 'From a sexual selection standpoint, males with traits that are slightly more masculine than average are typically preferred,' said study author Dr Daniel Stehr, [graduate student] at the University of California, Irvine. 'In this context it would make males with less clear speech more attractive.'
Related News Items
- I'm a hot girl: My 5 secrets to being the most attractive person in the room
- Men who mumble a turn-on for women? Voice study says it's true
- Study explores the interactions between gender and articulatory precision to gauge vocal attractiveness
- Study links articulation, gender to vocal attractiveness
- What makes a human voice attractive?