Commentary: COVID-19 reveals need to increase diversity among California physicians
- March 4, 2021
- PRIME-LC program, CalMatters, March 4, 2021 (Guest commentary)
One of the most successful initiatives we tracked is the UC Programs in Medical Education (UC PRIME), which combines targeted recruitment with additional training to help graduates meet the needs of underserved populations. In the four years after the program was launched at UC Irvine in 2004, the number of Latinx students at UC medical schools jumped by 21%, while the number of Black students climbed 25%.
For the full story, please visit https://calmatters.org/commentary/my-turn/2021/03/covid-19-reveals-need-to-increase-diversity-among-california-physicians/.
Related News Items
- Participation and cultural relevance, keywords in health care services
- UC physician training program adds diversity, but where do graduates end up?
- Medicine for the Latino community: PRIME-LC graduates at UC Irvine
- Dia de la familia
- Surprise! UCI holds graduation ceremony for athlete who fell ill (Video and slideshow)