China’s poverty-shaming social assistance system and the urgent need for reform
- April 30, 2020
- Dorothy Solinger, poli sci, SupChina, April 30, 2020
Dorothy Solinger, a professor of political science at the University of California, Irvine, has noted that in addition to dishonest recipients, local officials have also been found to dip into funds themselves or siphon off dibao money for “favorites” within the community. Solinger points to one such case where a Wuhan welfare official was found to have falsely claimed 500,000 yuan ($70,420) in dibao payments and used them to boost his employees’ wages and revamp the office.
For the full story, please visit https://signal.supchina.com/chinas-poverty-shaming-social-assistance-system-and-the-urgent-need-for-reform/.
Related News Items
- China's poverty-shaming social assistance system and the urgent need for reform
- India elections, rethinking dying, emotional signature
- The midterms could spell the end for America's lonely moderates
- If it walks like a social movement and talks like a social movement...
- Want a less partisan senator? Elect a former governor. (op-ed)