China's youth unemployment: Young people shun new rat race
- February 27, 2023
- Dorothy Solinger, poli sci, Deutsche Welle, Feb. 27, 2023
By 2021, around 44 million undergraduate students were enrolled in degree programs at public colleges and universities in China, compared to some 4 million at the turn of the century. … "For those without the credentials for college, vocational schools teach nothing and are just another part of the holding pattern," for young people, said Dorothy J. Solinger, Professor Emerita, Department of Political Science, at the University of California, Irvine. "Serious attention needs to be paid to putting the educational system into sync with the jobs on offer," she added.
For the full story, please visit https://www.dw.com/en/chinas-youth-unemployment-young-people-shun-new-rat-race/a-64827388?maca=en-rss_top_news-13961-xml-mrss.
Related News Items
- Panic mode: Beijing deploys 'task forces' as youth unemployment hits record high
- UC Irvine political science faculty statement on the events of Jan. 6, 2021
- Hundreds of political scientists call for removing Trump
- China's poverty-shaming social assistance system and the urgent need for reform
- India elections, rethinking dying, emotional signature