Sharpening Occam's Razor: The mathematical quest to simplify science
- August 16, 2023
- JB Manchak and Jim Weatherall, LPS, List23, Aug. 16, 2023
But when it comes to abstract ideas, how do we evaluate them? Philosophers from UC Santa Barbara and UC Irvine examine how to weigh scientific theories' complexity by comparing their underlying mathematics in a new paper. They aim to characterize a theory's structure by using symmetry — or the aspects of an object that remain the same when other changes are made.
For the full story, please visit https://list23.com/3505147-sharpening-occam-razor-the-mathematical-quest-to-simplify-science/.
Related News Items
- UCI's Logic and Philosophy of Science Summer Diversity Program continues to champion underrepresented voices
- Sharpening "Occam's Razor" - The mathematical quest to simplify science
- Orange County GOP promotes event featuring Judy Mikovits of 'Plandemic' fame
- How does misinformation spread? News chat with Dave Thompson - Matt Reviews "Unplanned"
- When we talk ourselves out of the truth