Support grows for no-strings-attached cash for families to prevent foster care removals
- August 2, 2023
- Kelley Fong, sociology, The Imprint, Aug. 2, 2023
I’m not an advocate who says that money will cure everything in child welfare. But I think money is a key missing piece. And we know from the University of California, Irvine, scholar [and sociology assistant professor] Kelley Fong’s research that lots of mandated reporters call CPS because they’re trying to get resources for kids. And that’s not necessarily how CPS views its job. So there’s a mismatch between what people and kids want and need and what the system is designed to do.
For the full story, please visit https://imprintnews.org/top-stories/support-grows-for-no-strings-attached-cash-for-families-to-prevent-foster-care-removals/243395.
Related News Items
- The parent trap
- 'No matter what I do, I'm not in control': what happens when the state takes your child
- Investigating Families: Motherhood in the Shadow of Child Protective Services
- Kelley Fong: Don't take the wrong lessons after toddler's death
- How abortion bans will strain an already failing foster system