How might district-based elections change voting in Irvine?
- February 7, 2023
- Louis DeSipio, Chicano/Latino studies and poli sci, The Orange County Register, Feb. 7, 2023
“Irvine has long been unique in Orange County,” said Louis DeSipio, a UC Irvine professor of political science and Chicano/Latino studies. “It’s a little bit more progressive than some of its surrounding communities.” And voters in Irvine, DeSipio said, have demonstrated they are willing to vote for a candidate – regardless of their race – “when they think that person will represent their interests.” Without a racial polarization in voting, DeSipio said he doesn’t think shifting to by-district elections will not increase or decrease minority representation.
For the full story, please visit https://www.ocregister.com/2023/02/07/how-might-district-based-elections-change-voting-in-irvine/.
Related News Items
- Should there be a maximum age limit for lawmakers?
- DeSantis calls for 'deadly force' against suspected drug traffickers
- Is Senator Dianne Feinstein too sick to serve?
- From Nixon to Porter, Orange County has given America colorful politicians
- This land becomes their land. New U.S. citizens hit a 15-year high