The 2022 midterms show just how stuck we are
- November 29, 2022
- Michael Tesler, poli sci, and colleagues explain in this piece for TIME
Michael Tesler, [UCI political science professor], John Sides and Lynn Vavreck write, “The 2022 midterm elections delivered something unexpected: very little changed. … Part of the reason is what we call the “calcification” of electoral politics in the U.S. Just as it does in the body, calcification creates rigidity: most voters stick with the party they tend to support because the two parties increasingly differ not only on public policy but on basic values. They offer contrasting visions of what America should be, and who can be American.”
For the full story, please visit https://time.com/6237216/2022-midterms-us-politics-stuck/.
Related News Items
- Republicans, democrats are split over which groups face discrimination, WSJ poll finds
- Georgia senate runoff: How Raphael Warnock secured democrats a 51st senate seat
- These political scientists surveyed 500,000 voters. Here are their unnerving conclusions.
- When partisanship forms our identity
- Donald Trump's life of crime: Most books are clueless -- these five explain him best