The British pound just plummeted: What it means for the U.K., tourists
- September 27, 2022
- Gary Richardson, economics, The Washington Post, Sept. 27, 2022
“Exchange range movements are often a mystery because they’re affected by many economic factors, including just the mind-sets of investors,” said Gary Richardson, a professor of economics at the University of California at Irvine. “But it looks like the main trigger is the recent policy move by the British government.” … “There’s statistical evidence and research showing that people book travel based on prices,” Richardson said. “Britain is cheaper, so more people would want to go there.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/09/27/british-pound-drop-dollar-us-impact/.
Related News Items
- The rise of the regional Fed speech
- Why are Federal Reserve regional banks listed on U.S. currency?
- What happens when $2 trillion is sucked out of the global economy? It may not be pretty
- The Fed could be on the verge of repeating its 1970s mistake, Fed historian says
- Ron DeSantis' baseless theory that the government wants to control people's purchases