For the first time in years, democrats are more concerned about abortion than republicans are
- May 25, 2022
- Michael Tesler, poli sci, explains in this piece for FiveThirtyEight
Michael Tesler, UCI political science professor writes, “The reality that Roe might be overturned has also shifted how Americans prioritize abortion as an issue. For decades, those who opposed abortion rights (generally speaking, Republicans) rated the issue as more important than those who supported abortion rights (generally speaking, Democrats), but as the chart below shows, the two parties’ priorities swapped after Texas’s abortion ban went into effect, which I first wrote about in October. In fact, the divide between Democrats and Republicans on the importance of abortion as an issue has only gotten wider, especially after the draft Supreme Court opinion was leaked in May.”
For the full story, please visit https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/for-the-first-time-in-years-democrats-are-more-concerned-about-abortion-than-republicans-are/.
Related News Items
- What's to stop the House speaker chaos from happening again to the next guy?
- Republicans dislike their congressional leaders. Democrats like theirs.
- Chris Christie should have run for president in 2012
- Chris Christie, Mike Pence, and Doug Burgum are all about to enter the GOP primary -- and that's excellent news for Donald Trump
- Playbook PM: Senate heads toward debt ceiling vote