For the first time in years, democrats are more concerned about abortion than republicans are
- May 25, 2022
- Michael Tesler, poli sci, explains in this piece for FiveThirtyEight
Michael Tesler, UCI political science professor writes, “The reality that Roe might be overturned has also shifted how Americans prioritize abortion as an issue. For decades, those who opposed abortion rights (generally speaking, Republicans) rated the issue as more important than those who supported abortion rights (generally speaking, Democrats), but as the chart below shows, the two parties’ priorities swapped after Texas’s abortion ban went into effect, which I first wrote about in October. In fact, the divide between Democrats and Republicans on the importance of abortion as an issue has only gotten wider, especially after the draft Supreme Court opinion was leaked in May.”
For the full story, please visit https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/for-the-first-time-in-years-democrats-are-more-concerned-about-abortion-than-republicans-are/.
Related News Items
- The 2022 midterms show just how stuck we are
- These political scientists surveyed 500,000 voters. Here are their unnerving conclusions.
- When partisanship forms our identity
- Donald Trump's life of crime: Most books are clueless -- these five explain him best
- The falling cost of petrol is good news for Joe Biden