Who gets to be a ‘real American’ has always been about exclusion
- February 23, 2022
- Michael Tesler, poli sci, FiveThirtyEight, Feb. 23, 2022
In “White Identity Politics,” Duke University political scientist Ashley E. Jardina
argues that white racial grievances have a more powerful effect on political beliefs
when white people perceive themselves as under threat. As Michael Tesler, a FiveThirtyEight
contributor and professor of political science at the University of California, Irvine,
wrote, that’s “one reason why Trump was so effective in his many appeals to the cultural,
economic and physical threats that they were supposedly facing.”
For the full story, please visit https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/who-gets-to-be-a-real-american-has-always-been-about-exclusion/.
Related News Items
- Biden's approval slump hits a dreary new milestone
- For the first time in years, democrats are more concerned about abortion than republicans are
- Why do GOP lawmakers still oppose legalizing weed?
- Number of the day, powered by FiveThirtyEight
- How racism and sexism could define Ketanji Brown Jackson's confirmation hearings