How the Capitol riot solidified Trump’s stranglehold on the GOP
- January 6, 2022
- Michael Tesler, poli sci, FiveThirtyEight, Jan. 6, 2022
Michael Tesler, UCI political science professor writes, “Many assumed that the events
of Jan 6. would be the final straw for Republican politicians who stayed loyal to
Trump throughout his presidency. … It was naive to think Jan. 6 would change that.
Anyone who thought so failed to appreciate just how much power Trump wielded over
other GOP politicians. That reality has only become clearer since the attack on the
For the full story, please visit https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/reflections-on-the-jan-6-insurrection/#323253.
Related News Items
- How the Capitol riot solidified Trump's stranglehold on the GOP
- Many staffers In Pence's office have spoken to Jan. 6 committee. Will the former VP?
- Racially charged trials were less politically polarized in the past
- Why white voters with racist views often still support Black Republicans
- A remarkable shift in attitudes leaves U.S. even more divided on race