America's racial awakening forces Virginia Military Institute to confront its past - and future
- May 27, 2021
- Michael Tesler, poli sci, TIME, May 27, 2021
With the possible exception of the civil rights era, Michael Tesler, [UCI associate
professor, political science], says, “there’s never been this monumental and swift
a change” [in Americans’ racial attitudes] since the invention of modern opinion polling.
The transformation can be seen in every population group, including conservatives
and people of color. But it is mostly being driven by white progressives, whose views
on some racial questions are now more liberal than those of Black people. The rapid
shift has created tensions, including at VMI.
For the full story, please visit https://time.com/longform/virginia-military-institute-racial-awakening/.
Related News Items
- The souls of white folk
- Asian Americans fastest-growing racial group in US: Pew research
- Why the recent violence against Asian Americans may solidify their support of democrats
- UC Irvine political science faculty statement on the events of Jan. 6, 2021
- Hundreds of political scientists call for removing Trump