Commentary: The high cost of trying to use the minimum wage as welfare
- February 18, 2021
- David Neumark, economics, Maine Wire, Feb. 18, 2021
For a January 2021 study, economists David Neumark and Peter Shirley assembled “the entire set of published studies in this literature” and conclude that “there is a clear preponderance of negative estimates,“ and that the evidence is particularly strong for teens, young adults, and the less-educated – exactly the results economic theory would predict.
For the full story, please visit https://www.themainewire.com/2021/02/high-cost-minimum-wage-welfare/.
Related News Items
- Opinion: 'Natural experiments' lead to an economics Nobel
- The Nobel in economics goes to three who find experiments in real life
- America celebrates Labor Day - but are US workers winning?
- 60% of older workers say being old hurts their future job prospects
- California tax incentive's success is in its failures