Can anything change Americans’ minds about Donald Trump?
- September 2, 2020
- Michael Tesler, poli sci, Vox, Sept. 2, 2020
When Michael Tesler, a political scientist at the University of California Irvine,
tries to explain “the amazing stability of Trump’s approval” in his classes, he starts
with a question. He asks his students if there’s anything Trump could do to make them
support him. And he’s invariably met by a sea of shaking heads. “If you went into
Trump’s presidency thinking he’s a racist, … and incompetent person … then there’s
literally almost nothing he could do to change your mind,” says Tesler. The same is
true in reverse. “If you see Trump as ‘the protector of Western Civilization,’ as
Charlie Kirk called him the other night at the RNC …. then there’s almost nothing
that would make you abandon him,” Tesler continues.
For the full story, please visit https://www.vox.com/2020/9/2/21409364/trump-approval-rating-2020-election-voters-coronavirus-convention-polls.
Related News Items
- Hundreds of political scientists call for removing Trump
- Raphael Warnock's dog ads cut against white voters' stereotypes of Black people
- Can anything change Americans' minds about Donald Trump?
- 5 things to watch for at the Republican National Convention
- Support for Black Lives Matter surged during protests, but is waning among White Americans