Irvine is ranked the Number 1 city in the nation for good fiscal health, report says
- January 23, 2018
- Mark Petracca, poli sci, via the Orange County Register, Jan. 23, 2018
Mark Petracca, political science professor at UC Irvine, is skeptical of the whole exercise. “Our inclination is to view a ‘deficit’ as a bad … and a ‘surplus’ as good,” Petracca said. “But why should any city have a surplus, beyond what might be appropriate and necessary as part of a ‘rainy day’ fund? So, some residents in Irvine, Stockton, and Fresno might appropriately want to know … when they’ll be receiving their municipal refund check.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/23/ca-city-finances-many-are-broke-and-not-telling-you-about-it/.
Related News Items
- UC Irvine political science faculty statement on the events of Jan. 6, 2021
- Hundreds of political scientists call for removing Trump
- Vox co-founder and editor-at-large Ezra Klein on politics and his Irvine roots
- The midterms could spell the end for America's lonely moderates
- If it walks like a social movement and talks like a social movement...