OC Marathon? Yes, sweat
- May 2, 2011
- International studies undergrad Takuro Sugita and business economics undergrad Yuli Matsui are featured in the Orange County Register April 29, 2011
From the OC Register:
At first, he shrugged it off. "Yohei, I heard there's been an earthquake." That was Takuro on the phone, in Japanese, telling Shimanuki about events back home. "Maybe you should call your family." But Japan, in general, is prone to quakes. And Shimanuki's home stomping ground, Sendai, in the north of Japan, has more than its share. News of a quake, on its own, wasn't enough to move him. "Yeah, Maybe," Shimanuki said, sitting in his dorm at UCI's International Village. But when he hung up, he kept talking with friends about a trip for spring break. Then came a knock on the door. "Yohei, you need to watch the news." So he did. And what he saw changed his world.... Yohei Shimanuki organized several of his friends at UCI including Takuro Sugita and Yuki Matsui to run in the Orange County Marathon this Sunday to raise money for The American Red Cross for relief to victims of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.
For the full story, please visit http://www.ocregister.com/articles/shimanuki-298556-run-marathon.html. Photo courtesy of OC Register.
Related News Items
- Experts, Anaheim community leaders weigh in on $150 Million Angel Stadium sale
- UCI is No. 1 in Sierra magazine's 2020 'Cool Schools' ranking of sustainability leaders
- Brain stimulation may enhance team performance
- Voice of OC hosting Live Angel Stadium sale discussion with politicians, experts and journalists
- Researchers explore how the human brain is so resilient