OC Marathon? Yes, sweat
- May 2, 2011
- International studies undergrad Takuro Sugita and business economics undergrad Yuli Matsui are featured in the Orange County Register April 29, 2011
From the OC Register:
At first, he shrugged it off. "Yohei, I heard there's been an earthquake." That was Takuro on the phone, in Japanese, telling Shimanuki about events back home. "Maybe you should call your family." But Japan, in general, is prone to quakes. And Shimanuki's home stomping ground, Sendai, in the north of Japan, has more than its share. News of a quake, on its own, wasn't enough to move him. "Yeah, Maybe," Shimanuki said, sitting in his dorm at UCI's International Village. But when he hung up, he kept talking with friends about a trip for spring break. Then came a knock on the door. "Yohei, you need to watch the news." So he did. And what he saw changed his world.... Yohei Shimanuki organized several of his friends at UCI including Takuro Sugita and Yuki Matsui to run in the Orange County Marathon this Sunday to raise money for The American Red Cross for relief to victims of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.
For the full story, please visit http://www.ocregister.com/articles/shimanuki-298556-run-marathon.html. Photo courtesy of OC Register.
Related News Items
- Language Science Ph.D. student presents work at the annual meeting for the Society for the Neurobiology of Language
- A remarkable shift in attitudes leaves U.S. even more divided on race
- The U.S.-China tariff failure of 2019
- What will Santa Ana do to keep low-income and Latino residents safe from toxic lead?
- Focus of Fed trading furore shifts to Powell's activities