UCI postpartum pollution study
- November 4, 2023
- Jun Wu, CPIP and public health, LAist, Nov. 4, 2023 (Audio)
Jun Wu’s research shows that long-term exposure to air pollution can contribute to postpartum depression in Southern California.
Long term exposure to air pollution can contribute to postpartum depression in Southern California. That’s according to a new study led by researchers at the University of California, Irvine. [Professor] Jun Wu of UCI says this especially effects polluted inland areas like San Bernardino, Riverside and downtown Los Angeles. … The researchers looked at data from over 300,000 health records across Southern California. Wu says you can mitigate these effects by limiting exposure to pollution through wearing masks and running air filters.
Related News Items
- National Academies report identifies ways to reduce intergenerational poverty in US
- Extreme heat and wildfire smoke can collide in deadly ways
- Researchers from eight UCs converge on Irvine campus for deep dive on demography
- Exposure to green space linked to reduced risk of postpartum depression
- From Bottom to Top: A Community-led Approach Provides Understanding of Community Air Pollution Burden