Column: What first-generation college students actually need
- September 18, 2023
- Anita Casavantes Bradford, Chicano/Latino studies and history, Los Angeles Times, Sept. 18, 2023
Among education leaders concerned about first-generation students, there has been a conscious effort to focus less on their weaknesses and more on their strengths. … A hub of this strengths-focused approach has been UC Irvine, where in 2014 Anita Casavantes Bradford, a history and Chicano studies professor [and associate dean], began to develop a first-generation program that was adopted across UC campuses three years later.
For the full story, please visit https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2023-09-18/first-generation-college-students-alejandra-campoverdi.
Related News Items
- Celebrating UC changemakers: Meet 10 Latino leaders creating a more equitable future for us all
- Opinion: Re-humanizing the research university
- Casavantes Bradford and Jenks named inaugural UCI FATE Fellows
- Suffer the Little Children: Child Migration and the Geopolitics of Compassion in the United States
- MLK Day reflections