Is academic freedom a human right?
- January 11, 2023
- Eve Darian-Smith, global and international studies, The Chronicle of Higher Education, Jan. 11, 2023
As Eve Darian-Smith, a professor of global [& international] studies at the University of California, Irvine, explained at the conference, we shouldn’t be surprised to see so many overlaps between the United States and other countries. What’s happening in Florida and other red states, she argued, must be understood in the context of rising authoritarianism and right-wing populism worldwide. Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida is cut from a similar cloth as politicians in places like Hungary, Poland, Venezuela, and Brazil, striving, as Darian-Smith put it, to “control what is taught in universities, push repressive ideological perspectives, and curb student and faculty protest against those in power.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.chronicle.com/article/is-academic-freedom-a-human-right.
Related News Items
- Darian-Smith wins McClung Lee Book Award for Global Burning: Rising Antidemocracy and the Climate Crisis
- Our beds are burning
- Earth911 Podcast: Eve Darian-Smith on Global Burning: Rising Antidemocracy and the Climate Crisis
- "Global Burning; Rising Antidemocracy and the Climate Crisis" AND "Collective Rage"
- Opinion: Corporate capture