3 things that keep driving inflation so high—and raising the risk of recession
- October 14, 2022
- Eric Swanson, economics, Fortune, Oct. 14, 2022
Rising prices can often lead consumers to switch their spending to other things, rather than cutting back overall. Right now, for instance, Americans are switching more of their spending from physical goods to services. And that shift is evident in the categories where prices are rising. “Most people in America spend pretty much their whole budget anyway,” said Eric Swanson, an economics professor at the University of California, Irvine. “So the money’s going to get spent, it’s just a question of what it’s going to get spent on.”
For the full story, please visit https://fortune.com/2022/10/14/why-is-inflation-high-3-things-recession-economy/.
Related News Items
- Inflation is nearly back to 2%. So why isn't the Federal Reserve ready to cut rates?
- The impact of Federal Reserve policy on the Fed's financial conditions index
- U.S. government on brink of widespread shutdown
- The Fed pauses rate hikes again; no relief for housing market
- A debt ceiling breach would be bad bad bad bad bad