Inflation relief payments
- October 7, 2022
- Eric Swanson, economics, NBC News, Oct. 7, 2022 (Video)
“It’s money back in Californian’s pockets so that’s a good thing. You could argue that maybe it’s not being targeted very well, that if gas prices are one of the major expenses that are hitting people really hard, you might want to cut the gas tax,” said Eric Swanson, UCI professor of economics. Critics of the stimulus check plan agree. Another big question is whether the money will fuel inflation even more. “Remember, these are one time payments so it’s not going to be doing anything major to inflation over the next several months … it’s not a huge driver of inflation,” said Swanson.
For the full story, please visit https://mms.tveyes.com/MediaCenterPlayer.aspx?u=aHR0cDovL21lZGlhY2VudGVyLnR2ZXllcy5jb20vZG93bmxvYWRnYXRld2F5LmFzcHg%2FVXNlcklEPTEwNjY2ODEmTURJRD0xODE3NjUyOSZNRFNlZWQ9NDU4NiZUeXBlPU1lZGlh.
Related News Items
- The impact of Federal Reserve policy on the Fed's financial conditions index
- U.S. government on brink of widespread shutdown
- The Fed pauses rate hikes again; no relief for housing market
- A debt ceiling breach would be bad bad bad bad bad
- State of U.S. economy amid banking failures and debt ceiling debate