UCI Podcast: Is a recession coming?
- July 20, 2022
- Economist Eric Swanson explains that there’s nothing yet to fear … at least for now
A quick look at the economy these days tells a worrisome story. Things aren’t looking so great. Inflation is up 9 percent over last year. The Gross National Product dropped by nearly 2 percent last quarter. Rents are skyrocketing. And the stock marking is dropping. The S&P 500 Index – which tracks the top companies in the U.S. – is in a Bear Market. And that’s not good.
This raises the question: Are we entering another recession?
Eric Swanson, a professor of economics at UCI, studies unconventional monetary policy and the relationship between financial markets and the macroeconomy, which means he’s the perfect person to answer the central question of this podcast with Tom Vasich, UCI senior director of communications and media relations.
For a full transcript, visit https://news.uci.edu/2022/07/19/uci-podcast-is-a-recession-coming/.
Related News Items
- The impact of Federal Reserve policy on the Fed's financial conditions index
- U.S. government on brink of widespread shutdown
- The Fed pauses rate hikes again; no relief for housing market
- A debt ceiling breach would be bad bad bad bad bad
- State of U.S. economy amid banking failures and debt ceiling debate