Abortion ruling draws mixed reaction in Orange County
- June 24, 2022
- Tony Smith, poli sci, Spectrum News 1, June 24, 2022
UC Irvine political science and law professor Tony Smith said Thomas' opinion pointing to other precedent regarding contraceptives and gay marriage shows the court will upend those rulings as well. Smith said Thomas, who is Black and has a white wife, notably did not point to the precedent regarding interracial marriage. "The rank hypocrisy of this is staggering from Thomas," Smith told City News Service. ... UCI sociology and political science professor David Meyer told City News Service he isn't sure if the ruling will improve the chances of Democrats in the November elections. "It's not just turnout," Meyer said. "They think people will flip and that may be true, certainly. If the battle line keeps moving the calculation keeps changing." … "More mobilization, more stress, more division," is all pundits can count on now, he said.
For the full story, please visit https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-west/politics/2022/06/25/abortion-ruling-draws-mixed-reaction-in-orange-county.
Related News Items
- San Clemente council votes to pull abortion ban from next meeting
- San Clemente abortion resolution toothless, experts say
- Resolution, if passed, would make San Clemente 'abortion-free zone'
- Moore v. Harper: The gerrymandering case that could radically alter U.S. democracy
- KNX in depth: Supreme Court term ends with rulings on two more major cases