Cuban bandleader and timba pioneer Jose Luis Cortes dead at 70 after ‘hemorrhagic encephalic accident'
- April 29, 2022
- Raul Fernandez, Chicano/Latino studies, People, Yahoo Entertainment, April 29, 2022
NG La Banda was formed in 1988 and is credited with launching the popular Cuban dance genre of timba, a term coined by [José Luis] Cortés. "The best way to understand his style is that he brought to dance music the complexity of big-band jazz," author and emeritus professor of Chicano and Latin studies at the University of California, Irvine, Raul A. Fernandez, told The New York Times.
For the full story, please visit https://people.com/music/cuban-bandleader-timba-pioneer-jose-luis-cortes-dead-age-70/.
Related News Items
- Cuban bandleader and timba pioneer Jose Luis Cortes dead at 70 after 'hemorrhagic encephalic accident'
- José Luis Cortés, trailblazing Cuban bandleader, dies at 70
- OPINION: US economic policies have turned Central American countries into unsafe prisons of poverty
- Candido Camero, conga master who transformed jazz, dies at 99
- Outstanding Emeritus