China isn’t that strategic
- July 1, 2021
- Wang Feng, sociology, The Atlantic, July 1, 2021
“Legitimacy … must be in Xi Jinping’s mind,” Wang Feng, a [professor of sociology] at UC Irvine, told me. This is why, Wang explained, the government is trying to masquerade what is clearly a retreat as a shift of direction. “It is really not about giving up a policy; it is about implementing a new policy,” he said. “They want to say that they are in the driver’s seat.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2021/07/china-communists-demographics/619312/.
Related News Items
- China isn't that strategic
- 'A sacrifice for a generation': China scrambles to boost its population with 3-child policy
- Opinion: The real reason behind China's three-child policy
- China announces three-child limit in major policy shift
- China's people problem swings from too many to a 'decline that sees no end'