China is facing a brutal reality as it desperately tries to fix its population decline problem
- January 31, 2024
- Wang Feng, sociology, Business Insider, Yahoo News, MSN, Jan. 31, 2024
Wang Feng, a sociology professor at the University of California, Irvine, whose research areas include modern Chinese society, says that officials have known for a long time that the demographic crisis would come — albeit not as quickly as it has — and that the regime has been slow to act toward a solution. … "Young people are laughing at the government for believing that it actually can ask people what to do and what not to do," Wang said, pointing to the failure of the country's one-child policy. A solution for China's demographic crisis likely won't come through a few policy initiatives, Wang argued.
For the full story, please visit https://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-birth-rate-problem-wont-go-away-with-financial-incentives-2024-1.
Related News Items
- China's population declines for the 2nd year in a row
- Newsletter: On our radar: 'Dragon babies'
- 'Baby dragons' to rescue China? Beijing is counting on 2024 to fix its population woes - Here's Why
- China's population decline accelerates as economy reaches low growth target
- China is pressing women to have more babies. Many are saying no.