In-depth: Scientists warn of a new type of advertising: manipulating your dreams
- June 17, 2021
- Sara Mednick, cog sci, ABC10, June 17, 2021
Coors Light, Microsoft, Sony and Burger King have experimented with ways to engineer content into people's dreams in recent years, prompting nearly 40 scientists to write an open letter this month calling for increased government oversight. “There is a lot to be concerned about,” said Dr. Sara Mednick, [professor of cognitive science], a sleep researcher at University of California, Irvine who signed on to the open letter. … She and others are asking regulators to update their rules now, before our dreams become digital billboards.
For the full story, please visit https://www.10news.com/news/in-depth/scientists-warn-of-a-new-type-of-advertising-manipulating-your-dreams.
Related News Items
- UCI Podcast: The perils and benefits of dream incubation
- Scientists warn of a new type of advertising where companies try to manipulate dreams
- On the podcast: Dr. Sara Mednick, Tracy Clark-Flory, and Dr. Will Cole
- Feeling midday fatigue? A short shut-eye session can help
- Nap time is the new coffee break. Here's how to make the most of it.