The death of George Floyd reignited a movement. What happens now?
- April 20, 2021
- Davin Phoenix, poli sci, The New York Times, Yahoo News, DNYUZ, The San Diego Union-Tribune, WRAL, April 20, 2021
Davin Phoenix, an [associate professor of] political science at the University of California, Irvine [said], “Before Black people even get a chance to process their feelings of trauma and grief, they’re being told by people they elected to the White House — that they put into power — ‘Don’t do this, don’t do that,’” Mr. Phoenix said. “I would love if more politicians, at least those that claim to be allied, turn to the police and say, ‘Don’t do this, don’t do that.’”
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/20/us/george-floyd-protests-police-reform.html.
Related News Items
- Phoenix is named an inaugural UCI Inclusive Excellence Term Chair Professor
- Opinion: Rep. Maxine Waters voiced the anger of many Black Americans. That's important, politically.
- UC Irvine political science faculty statement on the events of Jan. 6, 2021
- The Capitol siege shows how White Americans can express anger that Black Americans cannot
- Hundreds of political scientists call for removing Trump