Symbols of white supremacy flew proudly at the Capitol riot – 5 essential reads
- February 27, 2021
- Long T. Bui, global and international studies, The Good Men Project, Feb. 27, 2021
But Long T. Bui, a global studies [associate professor] at the University of California, Irvine, explains that when flown by Vietnamese Americans, many of whom support Trump, the flag symbolizes militant nationalism: “[S]ome Vietnamese Americans view their fallen homeland as an extension of the American push for freedom and democracy worldwide. I have interviewed Vietnamese American soldiers who fear American freedom is failing,” he explains.
For the full story, please visit https://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/symbols-of-white-supremacy-flew-proudly-at-the-capitol-riot-5-essential-reads/.
Related News Items
- How the end of the Vietnam War led to a refugee crisis
- CJR's coverage of the Vietnam War
- In Orange County, anti-vaccine activists attack top elected official for his Vietnamese heritage
- Symbols of white supremacy flew proudly at the Capitol riot - 5 essential reads
- Why the flag of South Vietnam flew at US Capitol siege