Commentary: Racial (in)justice and the UC budget crisis
- February 8, 2021
- Bill Maurer, UCI social sciences dean, via CalMatters
The UC student population now mirrors the racial and ethnic demographics of our state, with 63% of the admitted students in the class of 2024 who identify as Latinx, Asian American, Black or Pacific Islander. This diversity makes the UC a powerful engine of upward mobility and a potential brake on the trend toward deepening economic inequality.
While the budget crunch brought on by the pandemic is not likely to reverse this positive demographic trajectory, we fear that it could lead our university to fail to deliver on the soaring hopes for social mobility that this progress has raised.
Read in full, courtesy of CalMatters: https://calmatters.org/commentary/my-turn/2021/02/racial-injustice-and-the-uc-budget-crisis/
Related News Items
- FBI just proved Bitcoin's much-touted anonymity is illusory, says financial expert -- and no, El Salvador didn't actually make Bitcoin any more useful
- The fascinating history behind the popular 'waving lucky cat'
- Why Epic is burning its own cash to cook Apple
- Everything we want costs energy, including bitcoin
- What is a merchant account?