Why nationalist regimes are embracing war criminals
- October 20, 2020
- Tony Smith, poli sci, OZY, Oct. 20, 2020
Charles Anthony Smith, professor of political science at University of California, Irvine and author of The Rise and Fall of War Crimes Trials: From Charles I to Bush II, concurs. “When you get a leader of a country who has constructed a tough-guy image, the reality is, the very bad acts happen against people that these tough guys don’t care about,” Smith says. “They either don’t like their ethnicity or their country of origin, or something like that.” The ones who fail to get justice by such pardons are almost “never the tough guys’ constituents.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.ozy.com/around-the-world/war-criminals-the-latest-poster-boys-of-nationalists/389911/.
Related News Items
- Pelosi calls for Trump's removal from office, says Congress may move to impeach if 25th Amendment not invoked
- Hundreds of political scientists call for removing Trump
- Opinion: COVID-19, border wall and economic stall: How have Trump's domestic politics fared in his four years?
- Opinion: Threat to pack Supreme Court may be enough to stop judicial activism by GOP justices, prof says
- Why Trump may get his Third Supreme Court appointment no matter what the dems do