The enormous scale of this movement
- June 7, 2020
- David Meyer, sociology, The Atlantic, June 7, 2020
Such an expansive range of local and national demands “is consistent with the way every protest movement in history has worked ... We have a system that’s set up to disappoint and keep you in the game at the same time,” David Meyer, a sociology professor at UC Irvine who studies social movements and public policy, told me. “Moments of passion pass and then you have to have people who are still at the table pushing.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/protest-dc-george-floyd-police-reform/612748/.
Related News Items
- Manahuu (Hello) to a bright future
- Opinion: Three reasons the U.S. hasn't passed more gun regulations; and one reason now might be different.
- Response to April 15 mass shooting in Indianapolis
- Why the world says Breonna Taylor's name
- UCI Podcast: UCI's new in-prison bachelor's degree to transform lives