Opinion: Bailouts don’t save jobs: Amihai Glazer
- May 16, 2020
- Ami Glazer, economics, Orange County Register, and San Bernardino Sun, May 16, 2020
Amihai Glazer, professor of economics at the University of California, Irvine, writes, "A study of government bailouts from 35 countries during 1997–2002 finds that politically connected firms are more likely to be bailed out than similar, but non-connected, firms. Further, among bailed-out firms, those that are politically connected show worse financial performance at the time of and following the bailout. So, the current bailouts can be vitally important now. But don’t expect them to much help the economic recovery when it comes."
For the full story, please visit https://www.ocregister.com/2020/05/16/bailouts-dont-save-jobs-amihai-glazer/.
Related News Items
- Orange County's unemployment rate remains high as potential second coronavirus wave looms
- Anaheim Council sells Angel Stadium and land for $150 million, subsidizes housing and park
- Experts, Anaheim community leaders weigh in on $150 Million Angel Stadium sale
- Voice of OC hosting Live Angel Stadium sale discussion with politicians, experts and journalists
- Protecting vulnerable students during the pandemic