Taiwan tries to keep coronavirus out while asserting itself against China
- February 9, 2020
- Lev Nachman, poli sci, Los Angeles Times, Feb. 9, 2020
Lev Nachman, a doctoral candidate in political science at UC Irvine and a Fulbright research fellow in Taiwan [said] it is too soon to give a verdict on the government’s overall handling of the coronavirus crisis. But regardless of the outcome, it will almost certainly be a talking point for the Democratic Progressive Party in the future, just as the Hong Kong pro-democracy protests were in the last election. “This also serves that kind of frame of, this is why creating close ties with China is bad for Taiwan,” Nachman said.
For the full story, please visit https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-02-09/taiwan-combats-coronavirus-asserts-itself-against-china.
Related News Items
- Pig intestines fly as Taiwan lawmakers engage in ham-fisted political attacks
- Taiwan distrusts Trump, but think country would benefit less from Biden: Poll
- US angers China with high-profile Taiwan visit
- Hong Kongers say Taiwan is their first choice as exile looms
- Animal Crossing ban foreshadows stricter Chinese gaming crackdown