Taiwan tries to keep coronavirus out while asserting itself against China
- February 9, 2020
- Lev Nachman, poli sci, Los Angeles Times, Feb. 9, 2020
Lev Nachman, a doctoral candidate in political science at UC Irvine and a Fulbright research fellow in Taiwan [said] it is too soon to give a verdict on the government’s overall handling of the coronavirus crisis. But regardless of the outcome, it will almost certainly be a talking point for the Democratic Progressive Party in the future, just as the Hong Kong pro-democracy protests were in the last election. “This also serves that kind of frame of, this is why creating close ties with China is bad for Taiwan,” Nachman said.
For the full story, please visit https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-02-09/taiwan-combats-coronavirus-asserts-itself-against-china.
Related News Items
- Brainchild of Taipei City mayor wins 5 legislative seats
- Taiwan election: Tsai Ing-Wen wins landslide in rebuke to China
- 'We need more dreams': Taiwan's 'Squad' rallies youth ahead of election
- Taiwan goes to the polls amid fears of Beijing's influence and fake news
- Taiwan scores over China by welcoming Hong Kong protesters