China’s birthrate sank to lowest level on record last year
- January 17, 2020
- Wang Feng, Time Magazine/Bloomberg, Japan Times, The Star, Jan. 17, 2020
“The historically low number of births in part reflects declining birth numbers since
the 1990s, but also reveals something much more profound about the social transformations
that are still unfolding in China, and can be worrisome,” said Wang Feng, a sociology
professor at the University of California at Irvine.
For the full story, please visit https://time.com/5767077/china-birthrate-record-low/.
Related News Items
- China's people problem swings from too many to a 'decline that sees no end'
- China bets on productivity over population to drive its economy
- Why China and east Asia's ageing population threatens global Covid recovery
- China posts slowest population growth in decades
- China's birthrate drops, as census data warn of aging population