Taiwan election: Tsai Ing-Wen wins landslide in rebuke to China
- January 11, 2020
- Lev Nachman, poli sic, The Guardian and Malaysia Today, Jan. 11, 2020
“This is just a huge loss for the [Chinese communist party]. The CCP is likely to
respond in terms of doubling down on their current strategy of trying to punish Taiwan
as much as possible, but at the end of the day it shows its just going to push people
toward a green president,” said Lev Nachman, a PhD candidate at the University of
California, Irvine, focusing on Taiwan. Tsai’s party and those aligned with it are
considered part of the “green camp”.
For the full story, please visit https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/11/taiwan-re-elects-tsai-ing-wen-as-president-in-clear-message-to-china.
Related News Items
- Hong Kongers say Taiwan is their first choice as exile looms
- Animal Crossing ban foreshadows stricter Chinese gaming crackdown
- No, Taiwan's president isn't 'pro-independence'
- Taiwan tries to keep coronavirus out while asserting itself against China
- Brainchild of Taipei City mayor wins 5 legislative seats