Taiwan goes to the polls amid fears of Beijing's influence and fake news
- January 10, 2020
- Lev Nachman, poli sci, CNN, Jan. 10, 2020
"Tsai [Ing-wen] may win this upcoming presidential election, but her ability to push
policy will be severely limited if the DPP loses the (legislature)," according to
Lev Nachman, a Taiwan politics expert at the University of California [Irvine]. "Contention
among smaller parties who previously worked with the DPP will further hinder Tsai's
odds of a successful second term. In the face of this power split among parties, Taiwanese
politics is undoubtedly facing a hard four years."
For the full story, please visit https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/10/asia/taiwan-election-china-tsai-intl-hnk/index.html.
Related News Items
- Brainchild of Taipei City mayor wins 5 legislative seats
- Taiwan election: Tsai Ing-Wen wins landslide in rebuke to China
- 'We need more dreams': Taiwan's 'Squad' rallies youth ahead of election
- Taiwan scores over China by welcoming Hong Kong protesters
- "Renegade province" and "reunification": How not to write about Taiwan's elections