Taiwan goes to the polls amid fears of Beijing's influence and fake news
- January 10, 2020
- Lev Nachman, poli sci, CNN, Jan. 10, 2020
"Tsai [Ing-wen] may win this upcoming presidential election, but her ability to push
policy will be severely limited if the DPP loses the (legislature)," according to
Lev Nachman, a Taiwan politics expert at the University of California [Irvine]. "Contention
among smaller parties who previously worked with the DPP will further hinder Tsai's
odds of a successful second term. In the face of this power split among parties, Taiwanese
politics is undoubtedly facing a hard four years."
For the full story, please visit https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/10/asia/taiwan-election-china-tsai-intl-hnk/index.html.
Related News Items
- How a 29-year-old woman cosplayed her way into Taiwan's center of power
- U.S. Navy warship transits Taiwan Strait for first time under Joe Biden
- ChinaTalk: Taiwan! Pigs, politics and pop music
- UC Irvine political science faculty statement on the events of Jan. 6, 2021
- Capitol Hill riots 'karma' for supporting Hong Kong, Chinese media jeers