Libra's biggest problem? Facebook
- December 5, 2019
- Bill Maurer, anthropology and law professor and social sciences dean, Wired, Dec. 5, 2019
Digital currency Libra needs Facebook's global reach to succeed, but the social network is also the biggest driver of its backlash. As regulators gather, controversy reigns. … As the controversy rages on, Bill Maurer, the dean of social sciences at the University of California, Irvine, sees a missed opportunity to have necessary discussions about important issues with the world’s financial systems and the impacts on democracy. “In a way, I think, unfortunately, because it is Facebook, it's just, ‘get them in front of us on the TV cameras, and let's yell and scream at them about privacy and security’,” he says.
For the full story, please visit https://www.wired.co.uk/article/libra-cryptocurrency-facebook.
Related News Items
- Maurer elected to Orange County United Way board of directors
- Business news
- FBI just proved Bitcoin's much-touted anonymity is illusory, says financial expert -- and no, El Salvador didn't actually make Bitcoin any more useful
- The fascinating history behind the popular 'waving lucky cat'
- Why Epic is burning its own cash to cook Apple