Newport considering campaign to encourage people to donate to charity, rather than give to panhandlers
- September 18, 2019
- Dave Snow, sociology, Daily Pilot, Sept. 18, 2019
But task force member David Snow, a sociology professor at UC Irvine who has done extensive research on homelessness, said an area study he participated in found that the median monthly income of a homeless person was $500, refuting “the sense that homeless who panhandle make a great deal of money.” “If the homeless, in general, believe they can do better panhandling ... than even minimum-wage jobs, that’s a bad bet,” he said.
Related News Items
- Vox co-founder and editor-at-large Ezra Klein on politics and his Irvine roots
- Sheriff to get extra $65 million for existing services amid pushback over housing, public defender
- Newport Beach picks 7 for homelessness task force
- The homeless are dying in record numbers on the streets of L.A.
- Working together to address homelessness in Orange County