Beijing says Hong Kong protests 'show signs of terrorism.' If you only watch state media, you probably agree
- August 13, 2019
- Lev Nachman, poli sci, CNN, Aug. 13, 2019
Lev Nachman, an expert in social movements in Hong Kong and Taiwan at the University
of California, Irvine, said that while Yang's use of the caveat "signs of terrorism,"
rather than outright saying protesters were terrorists, was something of a silver
lining, it suggested "harsh repression by the regime is now no longer off the table,
especially if protests continue."
For the full story, please visit https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/13/asia/china-hong-kong-terrorism-intl-hnk/index.html.
Related News Items
- Why the Hong Kong protests don't guarantee a Tsai victory in Taiwan
- Photo of the Day: 'Taiwan clichés, inaccuracies, and bad takes' bingo
- How fears of 'mainlandization' fuel Hong Kong's mass protests
- Q&A with soon-to-be professor Hannah June Kim
- A goddess inspired a Taiwanese billionaire to follow Trump's example