It’s not just Trump. Many whites view people of color as less American.
- July 16, 2019
- Michael Tesler, polo sci, explains in The Washington Post
President Trump is facing strong backlash for telling four progressive Democratic congresswomen to “go back” to where they “originally came from.” The presidential tweet sparked a storm of controversy for appearing to question the nationality and patriotism of these nonwhite members of Congress — Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (N.Y.), Ayanna Pressley (Mass.), Rashida Tlaib (Mich.) and Ilhan Omar (Minn.) — three of whom were born in the United States.
Trump’s comments were immediately criticized by Democrats (and some Republicans) for evoking long-standing racist tropes that treat racial and ethnic minorities as less authentically American than whites.
Read on, courtesy of The Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/16/its-not-just-trump-many-whites-view-people-color-less-american/?utm_term=.e1184cd24067
Related News Items
- Can anything change Americans' minds about Donald Trump?
- 5 things to watch for at the Republican National Convention
- Support for Black Lives Matter surged during protests, but is waning among White Americans
- Colleges are hiring more diversity officers than ever - Here's how racial resentment could be contributing
- The politics of race are shifting, and politicians are struggling to keep pace