It’s not just Trump. Many whites view people of color as less American.
- July 16, 2019
- Michael Tesler, polo sci, explains in The Washington Post
President Trump is facing strong backlash for telling four progressive Democratic congresswomen to “go back” to where they “originally came from.” The presidential tweet sparked a storm of controversy for appearing to question the nationality and patriotism of these nonwhite members of Congress — Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (N.Y.), Ayanna Pressley (Mass.), Rashida Tlaib (Mich.) and Ilhan Omar (Minn.) — three of whom were born in the United States.
Trump’s comments were immediately criticized by Democrats (and some Republicans) for evoking long-standing racist tropes that treat racial and ethnic minorities as less authentically American than whites.
Read on, courtesy of The Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/16/its-not-just-trump-many-whites-view-people-color-less-american/?utm_term=.e1184cd24067
Related News Items
- Opinion: Trump has a gift for tearing us apart
- Racially divisive parties have more voters now, but voters aren't becoming more racist. What explains this?
- Why are Republicans silent about the Ukraine whistleblower scandal? This one chart explains.
- Opinion: The New York Times omits mention of race from its history of the tea party
- Poll: voters who reject racism are more energized for 2020 than they were in 2016