Who’s really behind the push to make protesting a felony?
- June 18, 2019
- David Meyer, sociology, via MTV, June 18, 2019
While today environmental activism is being singled out, the ruling class in decades
past focused on labor unions, and before that the free speech of Communists, according
to David S. Meyer, professor of sociology at the University of California Irvine and
author of Politics of Protest: Social Movements in America. “Whenever someone in power
feels threatened by whatever cause is out there, they want to use the power of the
state and police to crack down,” Meyer told MTV News. “Companies used to be able to
count on the government to protect them and to pay for protection.”
For the full story, please visit http://www.mtv.com/news/3128386/protesting-charged-as-felony/.
Related News Items
- Here are the issues Markey and Kennedy have focused on in D.C.
- Mass shootings give gun control cause new strength - for now
- Vox co-founder and editor-at-large Ezra Klein on politics and his Irvine roots
- Hong Kong protests: Is anyone in charge?
- Who's really behind the push to make protesting a felony?