Optimize algorithms to support kids online, not exploit them
- April 13, 2019
- Mimi Ito, anthro, via Wired, April 13, 2019
As I was working on my last column about young people and screen time, I spent some
time talking to my sister, Mimi Ito, who directs the Connected Learning Lab at UC
Irvine. We discussed how these problems and the negative publicity around screens
were causing caregivers to develop unhealthy relationships with their children while
trying to regulate their exposure to screens and the content they delivered.
For the full story, please visit https://www.wired.com/story/optimize-algorithms-support-kids-online-not-exploit-them/.
Related News Items
- In the age of smartphones, parents are encouraged to be media mentors, not gatekeepers
- The brighter side of screen time
- Raising safe, digitally savvy kids in the 'screen age' requires a strategy
- No love lost: What credit unions can expect from cores of the future
- UC Irvine hopes to find how young people are using digital technology