O.C. turnout expected to soar as county becomes election hotspot
- November 6, 2018
- Louis DeSipio, Chicano/Latino studies and poli sci, via Fox 11, Nov. 6, 2018
UC Irvine political science professor Louis DeSipio told City News Service he only had "anecdotal" evidence, but noted that he has seen a much higher level of engagement among younger voters, who traditionally are the most apathetic. "I've been amazed at it all week on campus," DeSipio said. "The lines have been 45 minutes to an hour long (to vote), nicely snaking around the campus." DeSipio added, "I sense more students are volunteering, too. They're active in recruiting people, and they know that an investment in labor could pay off with a job or internship someday. There's definitely more activity than four years ago or eight years ago."
For the full story, please visit http://www.foxla.com/news/local-news/oc-turnout-expected-to-soar-as-county-becomes-election-hotspot.
Related News Items
- Vox co-founder and editor-at-large Ezra Klein on politics and his Irvine roots
- Threatened ICE raids create more political noise than police action
- Trump's threatened ICE raids could hearten his base, and terrify immigrants
- At a time of political divisions, a show of unity at Surf City parade
- Trump's sanctuary threat could answer immigrants' prayers