- April 3, 2018
- UCI doctoral programs grab top spots in Philosophical Gourmet Report for 2017-18
The School of Social Sciences’ graduate program in logic & philosophy of science and the School of Humanities’ graduate program in philosophy have done well in the 2017-18 Philosophical Gourmet Report, which assesses the quality and reputation of Ph.D. programs in philosophy throughout the English-speaking world. The PGR provides both overall and specialty rankings based on the results of a survey completed by about 550 philosophers.
UCI was named among the top 10 globally in 10 specialty areas, garnering No. 1 in three: general philosophy of science; philosophy of mathematics; and decision, rational choice & game theory. The university was third in philosophy of physics; fourth in mathematical logic; and ninth in epistemology and medieval philosophy. It placed 10th in philosophy of biology, philosophy of social sciences and 20th-century continental philosophy.
“In addition to being at the very top of the field, our programs are impressive for their reach across disciplines as diverse as physics, biology and finance,” said Bill Maurer, dean of the School of Social Sciences.
Related News Items
- Princeton Review and U.S. News & World Report rank UCI among nation's top 10 public universities
- UCI's Logic and Philosophy of Science Summer Diversity Program continues to champion underrepresented voices
- UCI graduate programs in political science and sociology make big leaps in latest U.S. News and World Report rankings
- UCI social sciences counts 27 faculty among world's top researchers
- UCI is No. 2 in nation for diversity in 2021 Wall Street Journal ranking