U.S. Senate subcommittee meets today on SB 1070
- April 24, 2012
- Louis DeSipio, Chicano/Latino-studies and political science associate professor, is quoted in AZCentral April 23, 2012
As the Supreme Court prepares to hear legal arguments that will help it decide the fate of a controversial immigration law from Arizona, a U.S. Senate subcommittee will host a debate today on the statute that promises more drama but less impact than Wednesday's hearing before the high court. "It's political theater," said Louis DeSipio, a Chicano/Latino-studies professor at the University of California, Irvine. "That doesn't mean the debate won't be valuable, but I doubt it will lead to any action on immigration reform in an election year."
For the full story, please visit http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news/articles/2012/04/23/20120423sb-1070....
Related News Items
- NSDR is an overhyped health hack. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it
- Apply today to be our 2023 UCI social sciences student commencement speakers!
- Casavantes Bradford and Jenks named inaugural UCI FATE Fellows
- A happy memory can help you fall asleep, if you know how to use It
- Social sciences' alumni superconnector