Chinese image-makers race to contain scandal
- April 12, 2012
- Dorothy Solinger, political science professor, is quoted in the New York Times April 12, 2012
From the NYT:
Chinese officials have rapidly intensified a propaganda campaign to paper over a leadership split in the Communist Party on Thursday as the first hints began to emerge of the wealth and influence amassed by relatives of a deposed Politburo member, Bo Xilai.... The state news media also gave extensive coverage to anticorruption efforts in the Chinese military, including an exhortation by President Hu Jintao to maintain purity in the military ranks.... But another scholar of the leadership, Dorothy J. Solinger of the University of California at Irvine, suggested that party officials more likely are transmitting an order for underlings to fall in line and support the dismantling of Mr. Bo’s political machine.
For the full story, please visit http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/13/world/asia/chinese-image-makers-race-t....
Related News Items
- Princeton Review and U.S. News & World Report rank UCI among nation's top 10 public universities
- Ross receives grant to develop framework for causal complexity
- The Fed pauses rate hikes again; no relief for housing market
- Former President Trump gains support vs. President Biden in new poll
- Celebrating UC changemakers: Meet 10 Latino leaders creating a more equitable future for us all