Liberal groups take up Occupy mantle in D.C.
- December 8, 2011
- David Meyer, sociology professor, is quoted in Roll Call December 7, 2011
From Roll Call:
The Capitol Hill action - led by the American Dream Movement, a coalition that includes MoveOn.org, the Service Employees International Union and the local jobs group Our DC - aimed to direct the movement toward legislative advocacy. "Occupy Wall Street is the proper message.... We're saying to legislators, 'You've heard this message. Now do your job,'" said Elbridge James, board president of Progressive Maryland, a group that advocates for working families.... "You can expect if the movement takes off that there are going to be a lot of failed campaigns, but some things are going to take off," said David Meyer, a sociology professor at the University of California, Irvine, who studies protest movements. He added that it is typical for grass-roots movements to splinter into different efforts, and it doesn't necessarily mean their demise. "The fact that people are going to disagree and do different things doesn't mean it can't be a movement," he said.
For the full story, please visit http://www.rollcall.com/issues/57_70/Liberal_Groups_Take_Up_Occupy_Mantl....
Related News Items
- Language Science Ph.D. student presents work at the annual meeting for the Society for the Neurobiology of Language
- A remarkable shift in attitudes leaves U.S. even more divided on race
- The U.S.-China tariff failure of 2019
- What will Santa Ana do to keep low-income and Latino residents safe from toxic lead?
- Focus of Fed trading furore shifts to Powell's activities